- listen, listen, listen
- breathe – use your inhalation to savour your own and your partners energy, your exhalation to release
- look for outwardly expressed intention in you partner – even the intention expressed through simply standing is workable
- convert compression into release-in-connection
- release internal holding and compression through vocalising
- have faith in the connection and allow the work to emerge from your connection
- trap, hold or restrict your partners movement (or your own!) This creates antipathy and is a recipe for injury to your partner, particularly their joints. We are looking to expand rather than constrict freedom of movement.
- feel obliged to make anything happen!
- cling to your own stability or “form”. Freeform aikido places no value on the conservation of our own balance, or structure – it becomes a pillar of stuckness!
- try and come up with moves or impose your clever ideas on the process – you will sever the connection